Wednesday, August 29, 2012

My first SAA meeting.

I went to my first SAA meeting this morning. To my horror, it was right by the college campus that I intend on going to next year. Lucky me, it was move in day, so not many of the students go there. 
The people there were very friendly. When it was my turn to do a 'check in', I got out my name, and choked up. I felt myself beginning to cry, so I sucked it up and said 'I'll leave it there for today'. I'm going back next week! The group was only men. It was supposed to be mixed, but I was the only woman. and the only one under 30ish. All of the men were married, or going through divorces and had kids. I'm not sure how well I'll relate to them, although I'm sure we'll never quite understand them. Throughout these posts, I will not share names or details about any others in the groups. We have different kinds of addictions though, I will tell you. I can't function without sex, not because I like it, but because otherwise I feel so ugly that I will stay in and sleep. This makes me wonder if sleeping with my boyfriend now is considered an unhealthy behavior. I already have a sponsor! He's very, very kind. I plan on calling him to ask about what habits are and aren't acceptable and to help me with my inner and outer circles? I think they're called. The SAA uses the same 12 step program that the AA uses. I'm on step one, I guess. Which I haven't yet completed. Each group a step is presented. At the beginning, each member shares what that step means for them. Then we have check-ins. Every one's stories were heartbreaking, though I can't share any of them. 
I'll share what got me to this point in a later post. I destroyed my life not to long ago. If i didn't pull myself together, I knew I was going to have to watch myself fall apart. I can't let that happen again.


Tonight I'm attending my first A.A. meeting. I'll make a post then. 
Best of luck to everyone!

2 comments:

  1. WOW! That sounds so exciting. Good for you taking such a jump towards your recovery. What's your current weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My current weight is in the 120-130 range. I'm really nervous about the process. The men from the saa group are very kind.

      Delete